Friday, September 15, 2006

The Yard Sale

This weekend we are gearing up for one of those chores of life that I dread. This is our YARD SALE weekend, and for the past week and a half we have been digging, sorting, cleaning, purging, and now pricing things in our life that are really unnecessary and/or redundant.

It has been an adventure to say the least. Just last night I ran across some old (ah hem, 15 year old) college notes. It was a certain walk down memory lane. Craig has been right there helping to: "move this box over there--no, let's put it over there." "You know that box you brought in last night, well, um, it needs to go back out." I thank God for my patient husband.

I must say, as painful as it is to part with comfortable things that never get used, it is an incredibly freeing experience. When we finished with Bethani's room, I just wanted to hang out in there. Everything was so fresh and clean and pure.

It kind of makes me wonder what it would be like to purge my room. And then there is my heart...

What would happen if I were to dig, sort, purge and clean my heart? What if I got rid of all the things I have been hanging on to that I should have gotten rid of a long time ago. My flesh wants to hang on to them, just because they have been there for so long. They are comfortable things. But I don't need them. In fact, they are taking up valuable space that could be used for something better. Much better. I find myself (oh this is hard to admit) wanting things for myself (would that be called selfish?) instead of 'preferring my brother.' If I could just get rid of some pride, how effective would I be in helping other people? If I were to think in terms of 'othering' would I find relationships that I otherwise would have missed? What am I doing with my time? Is it really profitable or could I get rid of some of my "unnecessary and/or redundant activities in order to create more free space everyday just for Him.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24)

Oh how I want God to just "hang out" in my "room" because He feels comfortable there.

I've got to say that I will be so happy when Sunday comes and all of this work will be behind me. I know that when it is all said and done, I will look back and be so glad I made the effort. After that? Then I will have room for new things. Shopping anyone?

1 comment:

Jenny Teets said...

Hi there- I enjoyed your blog! Keep up the good work! Come visit my blog too,and we can become 'blog friends.' I have found it is a great way to learn about people; preacher's wives need friends that share and understand our particular
lifestyles! Jenny Teets

http://nlacnews.blogspot.com/